02 October 2010

Preventing and Treating Blisters

Any athlete and soldier can tell you that proper feet care is such an important skill to have. A skill that can save you from having to take time off training in the future. Countless pivoting for kicks and punches can cause serious blisters on the ball of your feet. The constant 'rubbing' effect from pivoting causes friction on the feet. This is especially true if you are training where the flooring is made of undesired material. IE. cement, rubber, hardwood. In Thailand, I trained on some very questionable ground :P


What is a blister?

Blisters come from when the skin has been exposed to constant friction, rubbing, heat, or some sort of chemical. As a result, fluid accumulates between the upper and lower layer of the epidermis. The fluid acts as a cushion which prevents the lower layer skin from further damage. The process of recovery can take weeks depending on the severity of the blister. It can be a painful process, especially if you don't take proper procedures in caring for it as it can become infected.

My Experience with Blisters



Yes these are my feet summer 2010. Caused from constant rubbing of my feet in my overly large boots.


Over the years training muay thai and in the forces, I have learned a thing or 2 about preventing and treating blisters. Keep in mind two things before continuing below:

I. The best way to treat blisters is to prevent them in the first place! Read below.

II. Do not pop the blister for the the fluid acts as a protective barrier for the skin underneath. If you must, use a sanitize needle and create a small hole on the very edge of the blister to release the fluid. DO NOT REMOVE THE UPPER LAYER! Let it peel on its own.

My Blister Kit - Preventing and Treating Blisters




1. 2nd Skin Dressing

Introduced to me by a friend, I must say this is my favorite method of treating blisters. It works exactly like its name, a moist gel sheet that acts as a 2nd layer of skin. I basically just put this on after training, wrap it good with tape, and pop my shoes on as per. You can also apply this directly on blisters and it will prevent the blister from getting worst.

2. Moleskin

Cheap, fast to apply, and works similarly to 2nd dressing, Moleskin is a dry piece of rubber like material that is placed over the desired area. Be sure when applying the moleskin on a blister that you only cover only the outer edges of the blister by cutting a hole in the center. The moleskin will reduce the blister's contact with its the surroundings.

3. Foot powder

For long runs in Thailand, I can honestly say "thank god I had foot powder!" Blisters develop faster when friction is met with sweat so word of advice, STAY DRY! Powder your feet, powder your socks, and powder the your shoes!

4. Socks


Chose socks that have a snug fit and do not absorb a lot of moisture. As moisture and friction is the perfect recipe for the development of blisters. Cotton socks absorb a lot of moisture so stay away from them. Do no wear worn or ripped socks. Personally I like doubling up my socks for ruck marches and long runs. As long as my feet is free from sweat, I really like the added cushioning from the socks.

5. Tighten Your Laces

Enough said. Make sure the shoe is of proper size for your feet and tie them up real good to prevent over movement of the feet inside.


6. Magic A & D


I have yet to use this but apparently Vitamin A and D ointment helps with healing, relieves pain, and reduces itching. Before applying the ointment, wash the area with soap and warm water.

7. Insoles

Investing in a pair of quality insoles is very important. Different insoles serve different purposes so make sure you read the label to make sure that you buy the right one. I use the gel padded insoles for ruck marching. Haven't had problems since.


---------------------------


The above products can be found at Wal-Mart, local Pharmacy, Shoppers Drug Mart, Zellers, and other specialized stores. I hope the suggestions above are of some assistance to you! Remember not to hesitate to email me if you have any questions regarding anything. Peace out and thanks for visiting my blog!

Baoy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks

Unknown said...

Blisters are my most common enemies whenever I go out hiking, biking or camping. But that’s not the case anymore after I learn ways of treating and preventing blisters. I will recommend this blog to my friends. See more here: http://wildernessmastery.com/survival/how-to-care-for-a-blister.html

Dr. Health Clinic said...

very nice and impressive blog. keep sharing
skin treatment in Bangalore