14 January 2010

at-ChiangMai-LeL-kHraP



^means at Chiang Mai already!

I arrived in Chiang Mai yesterday morning. I took the tuk-tuk from the train station to Madam's place. It was really nice to see her again. Last year at Chiang Mai she, along with a few others, really treated me well and made my stay in Thailand an exceptional one. So far this trip to Chiang Mai has not been different. I got off the tuk tuk next to her shop and we both embraced each other in a hug. She then took me to her place just across from the shop and told me to stay here! The best accommodation I have had yet in Thailand. The place was absolutely clean, had hot water, air conditioning, TV, comfy sofas and bed, the whole shebang! Nice to get some comfort in Thailand.



Madam also cooks wonderful Thai dishes. Pictures taken at the shop:


After quickly dropping off my stuff at her place i took a scroll down to Chai Yai Gym. Many new faces including a handful of new trainers and fighters. I was eager to say hi to my two favorite Krus, Chelsea Chai Ya and Kru Yoi. Unfortunately Chelsea is working in China and Kru Yoi just had a major operation and was out of commission. He was lying in his room. I invited myself in. He told me that he hasn't been eating or drinking much. He just got a foot of his intestine removed and is obviously in much pain. We went on to chat a bit, mix Thai and English. He talked a bit about the fight game. I told him about my experiences with fights and training in Bangkok and as usual, Kru Yoi gave me some very sound advice. He actually went as far as demonstrating the moves while lying on his back! I had to tell him to calm himself before the stitches come apart. He agreed. I laughed. The man is turning 62 this week, if it weren't for the operation, I think he is the most active and fittest 62 year old I know. Watching him hold pads and instruct is an experience in itself. Military style.

Anyways, I went on to say hey to the rest of the trainers and headed back.

The past couple of days I have been chilling and relaxing; chatting it up with some old acquaintances. On the verge of finishing the book Black Hawk Down (2 thumbs up!). Tomorrow Madam has set up a trip for me to see and ride on elephants! Time to put on my imagination hat and pretend i'm a powerful Persian warrior about to go to war!...or not.

After the elephant excursion i have a 2 hour Thai lesson back at home with a tutor. Quite excited about this. I have already learned so much Thai the last 2 days speaking with Madam, as she doesn't know any English. Her persistance and patience trying to communicate amazes me. The next couple days I have a different teachers coming to teach me Thai. Keeping the options open and will decide on the teacher i bond with most. This understanding of finding the right teacher/kru seems to be more important than I initially thought. It's all about finding the right teacher that suits you as an individual. And this often can go beyond the descipline at hand. Loyalty, personal connection, trust, love, are just a few things i feel are very important in a teacher / student relationship, or any honest and healthy relationship for that matter.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for reading! In the next few weeks I hope to write a review on Kiatphontip Gym, so do return if you are are interested in that!

Khap khun krawp, sawadee krap! and;


What is up with this dog? One of the mysteries of Thailand.

No comments: