22 June 2013

Determining (my-your) Core Values Exercise


Hello again!  I arrived in CFB (Canadian Force Base) Borden a few weeks ago on a Thursday at 6:30am.  Man, the drive only took a little over an hour! lol...This is a good thing because I'll be able to visit friends and family more often since it's not so far from them.  In the next while, expect me to write some informative articles on the Canadian Forces, particularly relating to CFB Borden. 

The last few days in Borden have been quite a contrast to  the city life of downtown Toronto.  In a good way though.  On the weekdays I have a lot of time to myself for some deep introspection.  Exactly what I like.  The other night I was just writing out a list of the moments in my life when I felt "completely whole and fulfilled" (inspired by the artical below):

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/05/31/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-1-define-your-core-values/


I would like to share these with you.  Due to privacy issues, I kept the people involved anonymous.

r u ready?

Mentor/Friend and I
-a time living at my Kickboxing Coach's house  when I had this  completely warm feeling and realization that I am doing exactly what I want to do and if I was to die tomorrow, I would still continue with my current activities.

-living at my godmother's house in Chiang Mai, Thailand and again feeling content with the path that I am  on (which at the moment was kickboxing).

-the intense sparring sessions with my Coach/mentor/friend. 

-sitting in the living room in front of the TV and just chatting away about randomness with my family and cousins.

-Goofing around with my cousin, niece, brothers on my cousin's bed at her condo.  This was where my brother performed a choke hold on my niece.

-a confidence boosting intimate session with a girl after some time apart ;)

Chiang Mai Family
-the countless hours spent playing World of Warcraft and Starcraft with my friends Bru and Sharoh.  Includes the numerous sessions where we get together to watch and talk about all that is nerdy.

-the moments I shared with my godmother and her friends in a small town in Chiang Mai.

-the deep connection I felt with someone from my past during a bittersweet intimate session.  I have never felt this level of connection with anyone.

-the love, attention, and gifts that I received on my 29th Bday. 

-ballin' at the club with bottles along side my boys.  Bringing back hotties to the booth :)

-guys night out at a nightclub.  Getting drunk and hollering at girls. Crazy times.

-the realization that I have leadership qualities after earning the Top Canidate Award on one of my Military courses.

-the weekly sessions eating Pho with my Coach after a hard day's training at the gym.

-Sitting in front of the TV and watching the TV Series Spartacus with someone from my past.

-role playing kungfu movies by myself in the basement.

-playing house with my cousins and siblings when we were young.

-long conversations on the phone with an old friend during high school.

-sitting in my room in Chiang Mai (above my godmother's convenience store) and reading books after books.  Away from all the noise.

-the third round against an opponent that was more experiance than me and realizing that I am proud of myself for stepping up to the challenge. 

-cleaning my house, awaiting for my mom to come home from work at 11:00pm and giving me a pat on the back

-collecting things like pogs, marbles, cards, comic books while growing up.

-when a close friend of mine told me that I was one of her favorite people

-when another close friend of mine messaged me with a  "friends forever" text.  Granted she was drunk but meh.

-camping and fishing trips with my immediate and extended family.  I can still remember when my grandma caught that eel.

-just sitting around while poking fun and wrestling with my youngest sib.  He's too big now.

-that moment in the Kitchen when I was able to just shut the fuck up and listen without judgement to my sibling and cousin.

-at a chinese restaurant and having an honest, open, and non-ego driven conversation with a person from my past.  We talked about everything good and bad.  I took it like a man.

-a kickboxing fight that I completely dominated.  I was 100% "there" mentally and physically that day.
This wasn't that fight.  But a nice photo taken by Rob Cox.


Still following me?  I then wrote down the values that were associated to each point.  For instance:


Point: The moments I shared with my godmother and her friends in a small town in Chiang Mai.
Associated Values: Family,  Love, Friendship

Once finished compiling my list, I compared them.  Here is the the top 5 of the most reoccurring values in order of importance:


Brother and Niece
FAMILY

The center of all my values.  It is my family who I fall back to during the tides. Love, care, and provide for my family in everyway that I can.








PEACE OF MIND

Winning, losing, abundance, excess power, meaningless relationships and total control may be for others, but it is not for me.  Simplicity is key.  Constantly striving to unclutter my physical workspace.



     
    CREATIVITY

    Involves the desire to be free and express myself in the ways that I envision as well as allowing others the freedom to live their lives the way they please






    DISCIPLINE/STRUCTURE

    Daily involvement in the things that hold meaning and of value to my life.  Not wasting a minute with non-productive activities, voicing meaningless comments, and over thinking.






    GROWTH/CONFIDENCE

    To challenge myself by overcoming deserving challenges with emphasis on character development and gaining experience (negative or positive) rather than end results. Self-confidence in my career, public speaking, hobbies, relationships, and sex life. Success defined by the level of comfort with myself financially, mentally, physically,and spiritually.


    FRIENDSHIP/RELATIONSHIPS/FUN

    True friendship that is built one step at a time and over time.  Based on trust, communication, freedom, and the shared moments that make us :).





    Here is the link again if you like to go over the "how to" of discovering your values:

    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/05/31/30-days-to-a-better-man-day-1-define-your-core-values/


    -Baoy


    No comments: